Summer Squash Quiche
Yield: 8 mouthwatering slices
- 1 RylieCakes Pie Dough
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1o oz yellow squash, thin-medium slices
- 10 oz zucchini, thin-medium slices
- 4 oz red onion, small chopped
- 0.25 oz (about 1 Tbsp) fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 6 oz pepper jack cheese, grated + divided
- 6 eggs
- 4 yolks
- 12 oz milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté yellow squash, zucchini, and red onion until veggies are tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add fresh basil and 5-ounces pepper jack cheese to veggies, stir to combine.
- Whisk together eggs, yolks, milk, salt, and pepper in a 32-ounce liquid measuring cup or large bowl.
- Add veggie mixture to par-baked pie crust and spread evenly. Pour egg mixture over veggies. Gently stir to loosen up veggies from bottom of crust.*
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove quiche from oven and sprinkle with remaining pepper jack cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes until center is set. You can cover crust here with foil if you feel it’s getting too brown.
- Once set, remove from oven, and let cool completely before cutting and serving.
Note: Quiches can be finicky and take 10-15 minutes longer to bake sometimes. Be patient and make sure your eggs are set – they no longer wiggle – before removing from oven.
*You don’t have to gently stir here, however, it does help lift the veggies so that they don’t all sink to the bottom while baking.