Mushroom + Sun-dried Tomato Gravy
Yield: 12 blue scoops, I typically use 1 to 2 blue scoops per serving when making Biscuits and Gravy
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 lb mushrooms, quartered
• 8.50 oz sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced (or buy thinly sliced)
• 4 oz onion, finely diced
• 4 sprigs rosemary
• 3 Tbsp butter
• 2 oz Roux Mix
• 3 cups whole milk
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 2 tsp sage
1. In large stockpot, place olive oil, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, and rosemary. Sauté over medium-high heat until mushrooms start to turn golden brown and all liquids have evaporated. Stir occasionally so nothing cooks to the bottom of the pan. Remove veggies from pot and set aside while making roux.
2. Place pot back on stove over medium heat and add butter. Once melted, whisk in tapioca flour and cornstarch. Cook for approximately 2 minutes until roux starts to turn golden brown.*
3. Slowly pour in whole milk while whisking mixture quickly. Continue to whisk until thoroughly incorporated and then adjust heat to low and allow sauce to thicken slowly. Whisk occasionally.
4. Once sauce has thickened to the consistency you are looking for, add salt, pepper, and sage. Taste test and season more if needed.
5. Remove pot from heat and add mushroom mixture back to pot. Remove rosemary stems as you do this. Use gravy as a Cream of Mushroom Soup base in all your favorite recipes, in the following Chicken Divan Recipe, or as a gravy to top biscuits, chicken, or whatever your heart desires!
*Step 2,3, and 4 can also be done in a separate pot and then poured over the mushroom mixture when done.