Yield: 12 – 4 oz servings
Sautéed Red Onions
- 11 oz red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 oz olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 oz lime juice (about half a lime)
- 2 tsp honey (or agave)
- 25 oz butternut squash, cut into bite-size cubes
- 13 oz broccoli, medium diced
- 1-2 oz olive oil, just enough to coat veggies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp saigon cinnamon
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 6 oz hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 4 oz goat cheese (optional – vegan feta works well here too)
- 0.50 oz mint, finely chopped
- 0.50 oz parsley, finely chopped
- Saute red onions, olive oil, and salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes. Onions should be translucent and starting to turn light golden brown.
- Turn heat to low and add red pepper flakes, lime juice, and honey. Saute for 1 minute and then remove mixture from heat and let sit.
- Preheat oven to 400°F while preparing veggies. Cut up squash and broccoli and toss together in a large bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Use just enough olive to coat veggies, too much will cause veggies to feel greasy. Spread veggies onto a parchment lined half sheet pan and roast for 15-20 minutes until veggies are starting to brown but are still slightly firm to touch. If you like your veggies crunchless, cook a little longer. Let cool.
- In large bowl from step #3, add chickpeas, goat cheese, toasted hazelnuts, mint, parsley, and red onions. Fold together with spatula. Once veggies are cool, add to mixture and fold to combine.
- Serve salad fresh and slightly warm or place in an airtight container and serve cool when ready. Both options taste fabulous and are full of flavor 🙂