Brown Butter Tahini Cookies
Yield: 24 scrumptious cookies
- 6 oz butter
- 3.75 oz Cake Mix
- 3.25 oz Roux Mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 oz tahini
- 5.75 oz brown sugar
- 1.75 oz sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 8 oz dark chocolate chips/chunks
- QS sea salt flakes + sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line half-sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Brown Butter: Cut butter into grape-sized cubes. Place cubes in small saucepan over medium heat. Let butter melt and begin to bubble. To ensure butter is cooking evenly, rotate pan or tilt slightly to swirl butter around – do not stir. After a few minutes, bubbles will begin to fade and butter will change color. Watch closely at this point as it browns quickly from here. Butter is browned when it is dark golden in color and smells nutty.
- Once browned, immediately remove from heat and pour into bowl of stand mixer. Place bowl in refrigerator for 20 minutes while mise en placing the remaining ingredients (if you haven’t already).
- While butter is chilling, whisk together Cake Mix, Roux Mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- When brown butter is ready (it will still be liquid but will have cooled down a bit), add tahini, brown sugar, and sugar to mixing bowl and beat with paddle attachment on medium-high speed until completely smooth and no lumps exist. Batter will be very runny.
- Add egg and vanilla bean extract, beat on low until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients, beat on low until combined. Using spatula, scrape bottom and sides of bowl.
- Add dark chocolate chips/chunks, mix until just combined. Chill dough for 1-hour.
- Using black scoop, portion dough onto prepared pan. If you don’t have a scoop, no worries! Just create 24 even-enough cookie dough balls. Slightly flatten cookies with palm of hand. Freeze cookie dough balls for 2-hrs or overnight.
- When ready to bake, place 6 cookies on each sheet pan lined with parchment and bake for 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- As soon as you remove cookies from oven, sprinkle with sea salt flakes + sesame seeds. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
P.s. I think these cookies are even better the next day so don’t gobble them up too quickly!