Basic Vegan Frosting
Yield: Enough for approximately 16 cupcakes
- 4 oz Tofutti
- 3 oz vegan butter, softened
- 1.50 oz shortening (crisco or spectrum both work well here)
- 11.50 oz powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- QS desired flavoring
- In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat Tofutti, vegan butter, and shortening until thoroughly combined. Scrape sides of bowl often to help incorporate all ingredients.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed to begin. Once loosely incorporated, adjust speed to medium and beat until frosting consistency is reached.
- Add vanilla extract, salt, and any other desired flavoring here*. Beat just until combined.
*If adding flavoring, add in small increments so as to not overpower the frosting too quickly. Taste test after each addition. For oils and extracts, I usually start with ½-teaspoon and increase in quantity from there. For powders such as cocoa, I’ll start with 2-tablespoons and increase until I reach the flavor I am looking for. For thicker add-ins such as jam or PB, I start with 3-tablespoons and increase as I see fit. Flavoring suggestions below.