Vegan Vanilla Cake
Yield: 1 6-inch 3-layer cake or approximately 15 cupcakes
- 10 oz Vegan Cookie Mix
- 7.50 oz sugar
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 2.50 oz Vegenaise (I use the soy free version)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla-bean paste
- Optional: Add approximately 3 Tbsp of colorful sprinkles to batter for a Funfetti look 😉
- 1 batch Basic Vegan Frosting (flavored however you’d like)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare cake pans or cupcake pans with parchment liners and coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together Vegan Cookie Mix, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine coconut milk, canola oil, cider vinegar, and vanilla extract on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Add dry ingredients and beat on medium-low speed until combined and batter has expanded in size.
- For cupcakes: using a yellow scoop, fill liners with batter. If you do not have a scoop available, fill liners so that they are two-thirds full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean. For cake: portion batter evenly between pans. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Cakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes or cake cool completely before frosting.
Note: For the cake parfaits in this picture, I paired this vanilla cake recipe with vanilla-bean vegan frosting and fresh strawberries. I layered my parfaits the following: cake-strawberries-frosting-cake-strawberries-frosting-fresh strawberry. For cupcakes, I’d recommend using strawberry jam as a filler and vanilla-bean frosting as the topping.
P.s. Lick The Bowl has an incredibly easy + super scrumptious homemade jam recipe that works well with raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries!