Swiss Chard + Mushroom Quiche
Yield: 8 veggie-filled slices
• 1 RylieCakes pie dough
• 8 oz mushrooms
• 6 oz onion, thinly sliced
• 2 oz butter
• 4 oz fresh swiss chard, thinly sliced
• 6 oz sharp white cheddar, shredded and divided
• 12 oz milk
• 4 eggs
• 3 yolks
• 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• A smidgen nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out pie dough, form into 9-inch pie pan, and par bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. For complete par baking instructions, refer to Pie Dough recipe.
1. While crust is par baking, sauté mushrooms and onions in butter over medium-high heat until mushrooms have lost their moisture and both are light golden brown. Use a medium sized saucepan, it will be larger than necessary at first but once you add the swiss chard in step #2, you’ll be happy you did so!
2. Stir in swiss chard and cook over medium-low heat until it has lost its moisture. Remove mixture from heat and let cool slightly before folding in 4 oz white cheddar. Set aside.
3. Whisk together milk, eggs, yolks, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until fully combined. Use a 32oz (or larger) liquid measuring cup here – this will make it easy to pour over the quiche filling when the time comes.
4. Spread veggie mixture evenly inside pie crust when ready; it is okay if the pie crust is still warm. Pour egg mixture over veggies and stir gently with a fork to ensure the veggies don’t settle to the bottom.
5. Bake for 25 minutes then remove quiche from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheddar. Bake for another 5 minutes or until eggs have set. If you feel your crust is browning too much, simply cover with foil and finish baking.
6. Once set, remove from oven, and let cool before cutting + serving. Quiches are even better the next day so don’t be afraid to make this dish in advance and let it sit overnight!