Savory Tomato Tarts
Yield: 6 mini pies (or you can make 1 big pie)
- 1 RylieCakes Pie Dough
- 8 oz mayonnaise
- 8 oz shredded mixed cheese (mozzarella, cheddar or a cheese blend – really anything goes here)
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- About ½ cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 beefsteak tomato (or very large tomato)
- QS parmesan, for topping before baking
- Optional: basil, julienned to sprinkle on top after baking (more scallions or chives make great toppings too)
- To make filling, add mayonnaise through scallions to a medium bowl and fold until thoroughly combined.
- Take pie shells out of the refrigerator, they should be hard to touch. It is very important that the butter in the dough has solidified. When hard to touch, fill pie shells evenly with savory filling. I like to use a green scoop here to portion them out quickly and then I use a small offset spatula to spread the filling into the shell.
- Cut tomato into 6 even, thick slices and place one slice into the center of each tart. Sprinkle with as little or as much parmesan as you’d like 😉
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until crusts are golden brown and filling is puffy.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Top with fresh basil or any other herb of your choosing, serve warm.
P.s. These tarts reheat nicely in the microwave if you don’t gobble them all up immediately and make for a great breakfast bite!