White Cheddar Cheesy Grits
Yield: Approximately 4 scrumptious servings
*Vegan substitutions provided after recipe.
- 32 oz water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup grits (I use Albers, available in most grocery stores)
- 10 oz heavy cream
- 1 oz butter
- 6 oz white cheddar, grated
- 6-ish scallions, chopped (white parts too!)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Toppings per serving*
- 1 over-easy egg
- 1 oz avocado
- 1 oz cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 oz bacon, cooked + crumbled
- QS parmesan to sprinkle on top
- QS scallions or parsley to sprinkle on top
- QS hot sauce
*These are the exact portions I used at the bakery per serving. Please, please feel free to adjust the topping quantities per serving so they fit your wants + desires!
- Bring water to boil in large saucepan. Once boiling, add salt and slowly stream in grits while stirring constantly with wooden spoon. After adding, turn heat down to low and let simmer stirring occasionally.
- Once grits start to thicken, takes 5 to 7 minutes, add heavy cream and butter. Stir until fully incorporated. Let grits simmer for another 20 minutes to thicken. If you like thicker grits, simmer longer. If you prefer soupier grits, simmer for less time.
- Before removing from heat, add white cheddar, scallions, and pepper. Stir until melted and thoroughly combined. Grits should be served piping hot, as soon as they are done, dish them out!
- Fill bowl with heaping spoonfuls of hot grits and top with egg(s), fresh tomatoes, avocado, bacon, scallions, parmesan, and hot sauce. Dig in 🤤
Note: I have made these VEGAN and they were amazing! I used almond milk in place of the heavy cream, vegan butter in place of the butter (easy peasy), and Follow Your Heart’s smoked gouda vegan cheese instead of cheddar. The grits are creamy and the perfect texture, you’d never know they were GF and vegan. As for the toppings, skip the eggs + bacon and just pile on those veggies! I personally didn’t like tofu with the grits as I thought the textures of the two didn’t mesh well together but that’s always an option.