Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Yield: 3-4 large bell peppers
• 1 oz Sun-Coco Oil
• 3 oz yellow onion, diced
• ¼ tsp chili powder
• ¼ tsp garlic powder
• ¼ tsp cayenne powder
• QS salt + pepper
• 1 can (7 oz) diced green chilies
• 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
• 7.50 oz cooked tri-color quinoa (about 1 ½ cups)
• 3 oz corn, canned or frozen
• 4 oz diced tomatoes, canned
• 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
• 0.30 oz cilantro, loosely chopped
• 3 large red bell peppers
• QS scallions, thinly sliced
• QS avocado, sliced or diced
• QS salsa
• QS vegan sour cream
Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 6” cake pan with cooking spray.
1. In a medium fry pan over medium-high heat, warm up Sun-Coco Oil, diced onions, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper each. Stir together with spatula.
2. Once spices become fragrant, add diced green chilies and mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms turn light golden brown and all liquids have evaporated. Pour mushroom mixture into a medium bowl.
3. Add cooked quinoa, corn, tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and cilantro. Mix contents until well combined.
4. Cut tops off of bell peppers, remove stems, and inside seeds. Dice top of red bell peppers and add to veggie mixture.
5. Fill bell peppers with quinoa-veggie mixture. Depending on the size of your bell peppers, you may or may not have some filling leftover. If you do, trust me, it is fantastic all on its own!
6. Place stuffed bell peppers into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers start to deeply brown around the edges.
7. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before topping with avocado slices, scallions, salsa, and vegan sour cream.